The Mosby Creek Bridge is Lane County’s oldest covered bridge, having been built in 1920 at a cost of $4,125 by Walter and Miller Sorenson. Spliced chords and steel rod cross-braces on the upper chords of the bridge are modifications of the basic Howe truss design. The span was capped with a corrugated metal roof. During the summer of 2002, the roof was replaced with synthetic roofing material, and other repairs were made at the same time. The Mosby Creek Bridge was one of the bridges which could be seen from the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern steam excursion train, The Goose, prior to the sale of the locomotive to Yreka, California in 1987. Design elements include semi-circular portal arches, ribbon openings at the roofline, and board-and-batten siding. Mosby Creek was named for David Mosby, a pioneer of 1853 who staked claim to 1,600 acres east of the present city of Cottage Grove.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
Length of largest span: 90.0 ft.
Total length: 134.8 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.3 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+43.77814, -123.00486(decimal degrees) 43°46'41" N, 123°00'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
USGS topographic map
ORNBI 39C241254200020 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 36272 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 12/2010)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory(6 out of 9) Superstructure condition rating: Fair(5 out of 9) Substructure condition rating: Good(7 out of 9) Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 25.9 (out of 100)