Currin Covered Bridge 37-20-22
Curran Covered Bridge
Curran Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Larry Matthews on October 3, 2004
BH Photo #111834
As with many Lane County landmarks, the Currin Bridge was named after an early pioneer family in the area. Nels Roney constructed the first covered bridge at this site in 1883 for $1,935. When it was to be replaced in 1925, Lane County again considered a contract for the bridge construction. The lowest bid was $6,250. The county felt it could save money by building the bridge itself. County employees, with the supervision of brothers Miller and Walter Sorenson, constructed the bridge for $4,025, realizing a substantial savings for the county.
Architectural distinctions include single piece hand-hewn chords and cross-wise planking on the approach. It is Lane Countyís only covered bridge with white portals and red sides. Lane County closed the bridge to traffic when it was bypassed by a concrete span that was built only an arm's length away, making the old covered crossing difficult to photograph.
In late 1987, the bridge was mothballed by removing an approach and placing a wire fence in the portal. Additional work included structural repairs and fumigating for insects. During the 1993-95 Oregon Covered Bridge Program, Lane County received a $48,000 grant to rehabilitate and re-open the bridge to pedestrian traffic. Work items included truss repairs, a new rail system, a new synthetic roof, repaired siding and house painting. The successful restoration of this bridge is another example of the dedication of the State and local governments to Oregonís covered bridges.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge across Row River on Layng Road
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built in 1925, Removed from service in 1987, Restoration in 1995.
- - Miller Sorensen
- Walter Sorensen
- The Currin Covered Bridge is a 105-foot covered Howe through truss. The bridge has solid single piece upper and lower chords hand-hewn from local timber.
Span length: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 105.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Also called
- Row River
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.79309, -122.99652 (decimal degrees)
43°47'35" N, 122°59'47" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/500280/4848891 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Dorena Lake
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 79002082 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 36271 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 23, 2019: New photos from Mike Garland
- April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- April 21, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- March 29, 2010: New photos from Michael Goff
- February 17, 2008: Added by Larry Matthews