Office Covered Bridge 37-20-39
Office Covered Bridge
from the west
Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 16, 2009
BH Photo #143086
The Office Covered Bridge was built in 1944 by the Westfir Lumber Company and spans the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River, once the site of a mill pond at the town of Westfir. The wooden span was constructed for logging trucks and connected a lumber mill and its office; hence its name.
The Office Bridge is Oregonís longest covered span at 180 feet. The company-owned town, including the bridge, were sold to an investment company in 1977. In the early 1980s the mill burned and the bridge was closed to traffic. In 1992 the bridge became the property of Lane County through tax foreclosure. Extensive repair work in 1992 stabilized the bridge condition, and in 2002, a new roof was added.
A distinctive feature of the span is the covered walkway separate from the roadway. Because the bridge was built for carrying loaded log trucks, the truss members are gigantic with multiple tension rods and compound chord members. The house has horizontal shiplap siding.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over North Middle Fork Willamette River on CR 6129 in Westfir
- Westfir, Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1945; rehabilitated 1993
- - Westfir Lumber Co.
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 180.1 ft.
Total length: 187.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.7 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Also called
- North Middle Fork Willamette River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.75833, -122.49556 (decimal degrees)
43°45'30" N, 122°29'44" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/540607/4845155 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Westfir East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-20-39 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79003768 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30047 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 38.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 11, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP date, builder & imported photos
- July 20, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff
- April 20, 2009: Updated by Michael Goff