Parvin Covered Bridge 37-20-19
Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 16, 2009
BH Photo #143065
The original bridge at this location was a 66-foot Howe truss span. In an inspection report in 1917 on the structure, bridge inspector J. W. McArthur noted: "An old bridge. Chords badly worm eaten, Downstream chord has been reinforced in middle by a timber bolted on. Wood is but little better than a powder from worm action. All signs indicate a new bridge in from 2 to 4 years."
Four years later, George W. Breeding erected the present 75-foot Howe span at this site. The cost of the structure was
$3,617 and included a 62-foot east approach and a 17-foot west approach. The span was bypassed in the mid-1970s when the road was realigned, with only pedestrians able to cross the bridge.
Lane County decided to reopen the structure, with November 17, 1986, being a special day for the several dozen people which gathered at the dedication of the renovated span. Present for the dedication ceremony were two granddaughters of James and Salina Parvin who homesteaded in the area during the 1850s.
Several days after the dedication, the approaches were completed and traffic once again used the covered bridge. Repairs to the structure, which included new guardrails and paint, permit a load of 10 tons to pass through the portals.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Lost Creek on Parvin Road
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1921; rehabilitated 1986
- - George W. Breeding
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 75.1 ft.
Total length: 131.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.89944, -122.82278 (decimal degrees)
43°53'58" N, 122°49'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/514232/4860719 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-20-19 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79003767 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
ORNBI 39C643610700001 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 30048 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 66 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP date & imported photos
- July 20, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff