Belknap Covered Bridge 37-20-11
Belknap Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on June 4, 2010
BH Photo #167224
The Belknap Bridge occupies a site in which a covered bridge has been in continuous use since 1890. The neighboring community recognized the importance of a river crossing at that location and adopted the name "McKenzie Bridge." In 1911 the first bridge was replaced by Lane County with another covered structure. The third covered bridge at this site was erected in 1939 and was destroyed by the Christmas Flood of 1964. The current covered span was designed by Oregon Bridge Corporation of Springfield and built by contract let by the county. The bridge was opened in 1966.
Several years later, louvered windows were added to the bridge to give interior illumination and to reduce the "box effect" of the windowless span. Extensive repairs in 1992 and 2002 strengthened the structure, and a new roof was installed.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Mckenzie River on King Road West
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1966; rehabilitated 1992
- Covered Howe Through truss
Length of largest span: 134.8 ft.
Total length: 181.1 ft.
Deck width: 21.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.7 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Also called
- McKenzie Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.16778, -122.22806 (decimal degrees)
44°10'04" N, 122°13'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/561715/4890797 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- McKenzie Bridge
- Inventory numbers
- ORNBI 39C123111600001 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 79002097 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30039 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 22.5 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- June 7, 2010: New photos from Michael Goff