Wimer Covered Bridge 37-15-05 #2
2008 Wimer Covered Bridge
New bridge rebuilt after 2003 collapse of the old structure
Photo taken by Michael Goff on August 3, 2008
BH Photo #119947
The Wimer Bridge was saved from destruction when local residents battled to initiate a rebuilding of the weakened structure in 1962. Community members insist that the original bridge was built in 1892, and a sign posted on the bridge claims title to that date. The Hartman brothers, bridge builders of Jacksonville, replaced the Wimer Bridge in 1927.
Features of the Wimer covered span include a shingle roof, the usual daylighting narrow windows above the trusses, wooden flooring, and a Queenpost truss design. The bridge appears not unlike a barn from downstream and only the flying buttresses indicate it to be a covered bridge and not a barn over water. Although refurbished in 1962, the bridge had a load limit of 8 tons placed on it by the mid 1970s and deterioration soon closed it to vehicular traffic. In 1985, the wooden bridge was rehabilitated and the 8 ton load limit restored.
However, the span of 85 feet is too long for the Queenpost truss, and the buttresses do not adequately support the top
chord. Now, the east truss has severe bowing and sweep, and the bridge exhibits large movements when cars pass, so the bridge currently has a 3 ton load limit and is slated for rehabilitation using National Historic Covered Bridge funds.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
NOTE: BRIDGE DESCRIPTION ABOVE WRITTEN PRIOR TO 2003 COLLAPSE.
- Covered bridge over Evans Creek on CR 887
- Wimer, Jackson County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Original Built 1892, Rebuilt 1927, Rebuilt 1962, Collapsed 2003, Rebuilt 2008
- Covered Through truss
Length of largest span: 86.0 ft.
Total length: 170.9 ft.
Deck width: 17.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.53806, -123.14944 (decimal degrees)
42°32'17" N, 123°08'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/487728/4709529 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- OR 20366 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
OR 20366 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 29997 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 72.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 10, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Updated NRHP status & imported photo
- April 3, 2013: New Street View added by Mike Goff
- August 4, 2008: New photos from Michael Goff
- June 12, 2008: Updated by Michael Goff