Hood River Bridge (1919)
The Hood River Bridge was an open spandrel concrete deck arch bridge over the Hood River in the City of Hood River. The bridge was built in 1918 replacing a timber truss bridge at the same location. The bridge consisted of three 90-foot reinforced concrete open spandrel arches with approximately 140-feet of concrete through girder approach spans.
The bridge was designed by Oregon State Highway Department engineer Lewis W. Metzger prior to Conde B. McCullough taking over as State Bridge Engineer in 1919. McCullough and his staff oversaw the construction of the Hood River Bridge and utilized the design in the influence of other bridges built along the highway in 1920 and 1921.
The Hood River Bridge was the largest bridge serving along the Columbia River Highway running from Portland along the south bank of the Columbia River to points east. The highway includes many historic bridges that were nationally recognized for the design and innovations at the time of construction from 1914 to 1921. The loss of this bridge in 1982 spurred the inclusion of the Historical Columbia River Highway and the bridges along it into the National Register of Historic Places.
- Lost Open-spandrel arch bridge over Hood River on Columbia River Highway
- Hood River, Hood River County, Oregon
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1919, Replaced 1982
- - Conde B. McCullough of Redfield, South Dakota
- Herbert Nunn
- Lewis W. Metzger (Design Engineer)
- Parker & Banfield of Portland, Oregon (Contractor)
- Three span open spandrel reinforced concrete deck arch with four reinforced concrete through girder approach spans.
Length of largest span: 90.0 ft.
Total length: 335.8 ft.
Deck width: 19.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.70778, -121.50556 (decimal degrees)
45°42'28" N, 121°30'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/616325/5062666 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Hood River
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT: 00200A
BH 47155 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 18, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- September 30, 2016: New photo from Dave King
- November 29, 2010: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs