Mitchell Point Tunnel
back filled tunnel
BH Photo #416204
The Mitchell point tunnel was built in 1915 as part of the Columbia river highway. It was considered one of the most beautiful tunnels in the world. but It had rockfall problems and the increasing speed and with of vehicles mad the tunnel obsolete in 1954 it was back filled and in 1966 it was carelessy blasted many saw it as a tragedy only comparable to the demolition of the Alsea bay bridge but the national park sevice is rasing funds to recreate it.
- Lost Tunnel under tunnels though Mitchell point on Former route 2
- Hood River county Oregon, Hood River County, Oregon
- Future prospects
- possible rebuild as part historic Columbia River Highway trail program.
- Built 1915 back filled 1954 blasted away 1966
- tunnel with arched viewing portals
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.70433, -121.61551 (decimal degrees)
45°42'16" N, 121°36'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/607773/5062129 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 80062 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 12, 2018: Updated by Leslie R trick: Added category "Hisotric columbia river highway"