Lone Rock Covered Bridge 37-10-22x
The Lone Rock Covered Bridge spanned North Umpqua River at Glide and featured improvements designed by state highway engineers. It was built in 1922, replacing a river ferry. The bridge was dismantled in 1958 and 1959 by Elmer Metzer, who helped to build it, 37 years earlier. This was one of the few 3-span covered bridges in the state. Two spans were 120 feet long and the third span was 75 feet, making the total length at 315 feet. The total costs were $15,400 to construct.
(Courtesy of the Oregon State Archives)
- Lost covered Howe through truss bridge over North Umpqua River on Glide - Rock Creek Road
- Glide, Douglas County, Oregon
- Replaced by the 1954 Lone Rock Bridge
- Built 1922, Bypassed 1954, Demolished 1958-59
- - Elmer Metzer (Construction and Demolision Crew)
- The Lone Rock Bridge was a covered Howe truss structure over the North Umpqua River near Glide, Oregon. The bridge featured three main timber housed Howe truss spans that were 75-feet, 120-feet, and 120-feet respectfully. The structure also had four 19-foot timber stringer approach spans to the east of the main bridge.
Length of largest span: 120.0 ft.
Total length: 398.8 ft.
Deck width: 17.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.30945, -123.07395 (decimal degrees)
43°18'34" N, 123°04'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/494002/4795182 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-10-22x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 45565 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 1, 2010: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com