Rating:
No votes cast

F. Fate Covered Bridge

Photos 

F. Fate Covered Bridge over South Umpqua River in Douglas County, Oregon, 1942

Oregon State Archives, Oregon Department of Transportation, OHD1832

View this photo at photos.salemhistory.net

BH Photo #169264

Description 

The F. Fate Covered Bridge was over the South Umpqua River between Canyonville and Milo in Douglas County, Oregon. The wooden bridge was built in 1920. The sign over the bridge read "LaMontai-Nanich Farm, Mountain View, F.Fate Bridge, 1920." In 1932 the bridge was used a detour during the construction of the main route along the South Umpqua River. The wooden bridge was torn out in 1962 and replaced with a steel span. The locals voiced concerns about the uncovered steel bridge and that span was later "covered" to make it look like a covered bridge.

(Oregon State Archives)

Facts 

Overview
Lost Howe through truss bridge over South Umpqua River on Old Milo Road
Location
Milo, Douglas County, Oregon
Status
Replaced by the 1962 Milo Academy Covered Bridge
History
Built 1920, Replaced 1962
Design
Howe through truss
Dimensions
Total length: 100.0 ft.
Also called
Old Milo Covered Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.93510, -123.03897   (decimal degrees)
42°56'06" N, 123°02'20" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/496820/4753608 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Milo
Inventory number
BH 45593 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

Built 1920 (1,055)
Built during 1920s (10,328)
Covered (2,781)
Douglas County, Oregon (83)
Howe through truss (583)
Howe truss (726)
Lost (30,056)
Lost 1962 (114)
Lost during 1960s (1,041)
Milo, Oregon (2)
Oregon (1,271)
South Umpqua River (15)
Through truss (17,900)
Total length 100-125 feet (5,517)
Truss (36,817)
Wooden deck (6,214)

Update Log 

  • July 6, 2010: Added by Michael Goff

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com