Cavitt Creek Covered Bridge 37-10-06
Cavitt Creek Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on April 23, 2010
BH Photo #168947
The Cavitt Creek Bridge, crossing Little River at the junction with Cavitt Creek, is another of the wooden structures built by Floyd Frear, noted Douglas County builder. The design features Tudor arch portals to accommodate heavy log truck usage, and the upper and lower chords utilize raw logs as its members. Each side of the roofed structure sports three windows, and long narrow slits above each truss allow "daylighting" as well as ventilation for the bridge interior. The bridge has a metal roof and a floor with longitudinal running planks. The covered structure sits on concrete piers.
The area surrounding the bridge site was settled in the early 1880's and named for Robert Cavitt, who settled on a tributary of Little River.
This covered bridge was included in the thematic nomination of Oregon's covered bridges to the National Register in 1979, but was not listed at the request of the County.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered bridge over Little River on CR 82
- Douglas County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1943
- - Floyd C. Frear (County Engineer)
- Housed Howe through truss
Span length: 149.9 ft.
Total length: 149.9 ft.
- Also called
- Little River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.24410, -123.02177 (decimal degrees)
43°14'39" N, 123°01'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/498232/4787922 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Lane Mountain
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- ORNBI 19C018 82 001 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 29951 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 24 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 11, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- July 1, 2010: New photos from Michael Goff