The 60-foot span was considered short in comparison to other covered bridges built on Oregon highways. The bridge is strengthened by two crossed Howe truss members on each chord, a rarity in short covered bridges. An additional aspect of the bridge is the use of large-framed windows on both sides of the structure, maximizing the illumination of the bridge interior.
In late 1981, a plan was developed to make a park at the bridge and use the old wooden structure as a covered picnic site. The Myrtle Point Lions Club adopted the bridge as a major project. Work at the site began in 1982 and included a new roof, replacing boards and structural pieces, clearing brush and applying a coat of white paint. The park was dedicated in 1984 and now includes a tourist information center at the bridge site.
The nearby community of Remote received its name, it is believed, due to its geographic isolation.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
This is the Sandy Creek Covered Bridge at Remote, sometimes called the Remote Covered Bridge. The covered bridge was built in 1921 by contractor A. Guthrie & Company and is 60 feet long. Construction costs totaled $8,188.63. It has a Howe truss and was on Highway 42. The covered bridge was bypassed in 1949 when the highway route was realigned. The World Guide Number for the bridge is 37-06-09. The covered bridge is now in a wayside park and is bypassed by automotive traffic.
(Oregon State Archives, Salem Public Library, 4823)