Ferry leaving Astoria, Oregon, for Megler, Washington, crossing the Columbia River, 1951
Oregon State Archives, Oregon Department of Transportation, #OHD4968
BH Photo #221150
Tourist: 1921-1930's (Astoria McGowan Ferry Company) - Eventually moved from the Astoria-Megler route to the Wahkiakum Ferry route between Westport, Oregon and Puget Island, Washington. Last know to be in operation in 1949.
Tourist II: 1924-1966 (Astoria McGowan Ferry Company/OSHD) - Sold to Pierce County and renamed "Islander of Pierce County". Retired as ferry in 1996 and sold to a private owner and is still used as a tour boat on Lake Washington. Currently named "MV Kirkland"
North Beach: 1927-1932 (Union Pacific Railroad/Stewart) – First ferry built by the U.P.R.R. to compete with Astoria McGowan Ferry Company. After three years of financial losses the U.P.R.R. sold out and the ferry was ran for another two years by Captain Calvin Stewart. After 1932 the North Beach was used as a freight transport on the Columbia River until it was scrapped in 1948.
Tourist III: 1933-1966 (Astoria McGowan Ferry Company/OSHD) - Sold to a private fishing company and converted into a floating crab cannery. The vessel was renamed the "Princess Roxane" and has more than likely been scrapped.
M.R. Chessman: 1948-1966 (Oregon State Highway Department) - Sold to the U.S. Army for service in Vietnam on the Mekong Delta. The vessel was renamed "Lieu Lo II".
Kitsap: 1962-1966 (Oregon State Highway Department) – Purchased from Washington State, Sold for use as a floating cannery in Alaska but sank while in tow in route.