Bull Run Bridge
Bull Run Bridge
Roadway/portal view facing north
Photo taken by Mike Goff in May 2014
BH Photo #284379
The Bull Run River Bridge, pin-connected and incorporating both wrought iron and steel structural members, is of major significance to Oregon's bridge history. The use of wrought iron predates 1900 and represents a now obsolete material. The Bull Run River Bridge is one of only two bridges of its type in Oregon's highway system. The other is the Sandy River Bridge on Lusted Road, also in Clackamas County. The Bull Run River contains a Pennsylvania-Petit truss, 240 feet in length. The span was originally part of the Burnside Bridge across the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon, built in 1894 by the Bullen Bridge Company. The truss portals contain nautical design elements, appropriate to its former location. The Bridge was relocated to its present site the Bull Run Reservoir area when the current Burnside Bridge was built in 1926.
(Historical Highway Bridge or Oregon, Dwight A. Smith, 1989)
- Pennsylvania-Petit through truss bridge over Bull Run River on Bull Run Road
- Clackamas County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built in 1894 in Portland. Moved to current location in 1926
- - Bullen Bridge Co. of Pueblo, Colorado (Original Contractor) [also known as Pueblo Bridge Co.]
- W.B. Chase (Engineer)
- The Bull Run Bridge is a 240-foot pin-connected Pennsylvania-Petit truss consisting of both wrought iron and steel members.
Span length: 240.0 ft.
Total length: 240.0 ft.
Deck width: 23.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.5 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.42806, -122.23257 (decimal degrees)
45°25'41" N, 122°13'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/560032/5030791 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Bull Run
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- OR 06571 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 29857 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 25.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 8, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- May 29, 2014: New photos from Mike Goff
- April 4, 2013: New Street View added by Mike Goff
- October 26, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff
- November 25, 2008: Updated by Michael Goff: Added Design Details
- August 5, 2008: New photos from Michael Goff
- July 30, 2008: Updated by Michael Goff
- June 10, 2008: Updated by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Historic Highway Bridges of Oregon - Dwight A. Smith, James B. Norman & Pieter T. Dykman, Oregon Historical Society Press, 1989
- Richard Doody