Knight's Bridge 37-03-02x
Oregon State Highway Commission
BH Photo #314620
From "A Century of Covered Bridges" by Lee H. Nelson
The old Knights' Bridge was certainly one of Oregon's best-known covered bridges. Its very longevity earned it a special place in the hearts of those nostalgically inclined to admire the pioneer concept of quality.
Although frequently dated 1876, the contract was not let until March of 1877. A.S. Miller and Sons finished this, their most long-lived covered bridge, in November of that year. It was also one of the few bridges built by that firm which did not follow their usual Smith patent design. Plans in this case were by A.J. Cason, the local bridge superintendent.
In addition to Cason's strange truss, the bridge was immediately subject to protests from farmers complaining of the "low girts," which prevented passage of loaded hay wagons. Despite such disadvantages, or perhaps because of them, the bridge resisted every act of nature's destructive forces until 1947, when the old span was blown broadside into the Molalla River by a severe winter gale. Its passing was noted throughout the Willamette Valley for it had become a rural symbol of the settler's conquest over the rawness of the frontier.
- Lost Through truss bridge over Molalla River on Knights Bridge Rd.
- Canby, Clackamas County, Oregon
- Destroyed by wind in 1947
- Built 1877
- - A.J. Cason (Designer)
- A.S. Miller & Sons of Eugene, Oregon (Builder)
- Through truss; The main span is describes by Lee Nelson as an "Arch-Brace" truss
Length of largest span: 123.0 ft.
Total length: 250.0 ft.
- Also called
- Knights Bridge Road Covered Bridge
Molalla River Covered Bridge
Molalla River, Knights Bridge Rd
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.26729, -122.71026 (decimal degrees)
45°16'02" N, 122°42'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/522729/5012684 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T.3 S., R. 1 E., Sec. 32
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-03-02X (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 65697 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 13, 2018: New photos from Mike Garland
- January 26, 2015: Essay added by Rebecca Burrow
- Rebecca Burrow
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net