Harris Covered Bridge 37-02-04
Harris Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 26, 2010
BH Photo #171191
The Harris Bridge was built by H. W. Fiedler to replace a covered bridge at the same site. Although Benton County records show 1936 as the construction date, some locals claim the span may have been built in 1929. The Harris Bridge retains its rounded portal design and other features include narrow windows below the roofline to light the bridge interior and longitudinal deck planks. The siding is board and batten style, and the roof is shingled.
Harris has been a community since 1890, bearing the name of a pioneer landowner. When the post office was established, residents petitioned for the name of Harris, but postal authorities feared confusion might develop with nearby Harrisburg. The town was known as Elam, for Mrs. Gladys Elam, but the name of the community was later changed to Harris.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Marys River on Harris Road
- Benton County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929
- - H. W. Fiedler (Builder)
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 75.1 ft.
Total length: 137.1 ft.
Deck width: 16.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.9 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.57961, -123.46031 (decimal degrees)
44°34'47" N, 123°27'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/463456/4936355 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-02-04 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79002040 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
OR 01441 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 29837 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 44.5 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- August 30, 2017: New photos from Janis Ford
- February 10, 2017: New photos from Mike Garland
- April 26, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff