Jefferson Highway Old Channel Verdigris River Bridge
As seen from E0505 at Okay, Oklahoma
Photo taken by Gene McCluney in June 2009
BH Photo #140930
Written by Gene McCluney
It is always a treat to actually "discover" a long abandoned bridge. Our Delorme Topo mapping software showed a road crossing the old channel of the Verdigris at Okay, Oklahoma, yet there was no listing for this bridge on any web site. We went anyway, and were surprised to find the bridge still mostly intact. It now crosses the old channel of the Verdigris to an island, as the newer navigation channel was cut further west, cutting off the road. The land is an island with no access except by boat, as this bridge is not traversable. A pony span approach has fallen into the river on the east side. It appears that there is at least one pony truss span on the west side, but the roadway is so overgrown it is difficult to tell if there is another. The center pier has crumbled under the south support for the west through truss, and it leans.
This is an old bridge. It has small structural members for its size and it is pin connected. It still has its wood deck, which is surprising for a bridge abandoned so long. I would guess this bridge dates to about 1910-1912.
- Abandoned multi-span camelback through truss bridge over Verdigris River (Old Channel) on E0505 in Okay
- Okay, Wagoner County, Oklahoma
- Originally carried SR 16 across the Verdigris, was abandoned when new Navigation channel was cut.
- 2 Camelback through truss spans with at least 2 pony truss approach spans, one of which has fallen.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.84691, -95.32250 (decimal degrees)
35°50'49" N, 95°19'21" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/290256/3969458 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Northeast Muskogee
- Inventory number
- BH 42664 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 3, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added photographs
- September 24, 2010: New photo from Nathan Morton
- June 4, 2009: Essay added by Gene McCluney
- Gene McCluney - gmacfilm [at] live [dot] com
- Nathan Morton - morton890 [at] yahoo [dot] com