Hackberry Creek Bridge
Written by Gary Hines
There is/was a gentleman who lives just NW of this bridge - it's the only house around. He is/was a retired (in 2003) Texas County employee who has lived there since the bridge was built. I haven't talked to him in @ 5 years so he may have passed on. I actually had him accompany me the few times I inspected the bridges in Texas County in the 1998-2004 time frame.
Anyway, from what I can recall, I believe he said this bridge used to be on the State Highway system in Texas County (he would know exactly where). Notice the date built - 1957? Oklahoma suffered record flooding almost state-wide then. That flood is the reason all the bridges in the Panhandle are so high over the tiny creeks! Many State & County bridges were washed out - is seems to reason that some bridges were re-used elsewhere.
At the time I knew him he told me the County would furnish the paint & he would paint it every 3-4 years! Also, there was another similar Hi-truss near this one (4-5 miles IIRC) that was replaced in @ 2000. The only other truss I knew about was also in the same general area - it was a pony truss @ 60'long which was also replaced @ 2000.
- Through truss bridge over Hackberry Creek on N1040
- Texas County, Oklahoma
- Open to traffic
- Built 1957
- Modified Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 96.1 ft.
Total length: 98.1 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.55776, -101.15200 (decimal degrees)
36°33'28" N, 101°09'07" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/307407/4047969 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- OKNBI 138140000000000 (Oklahoma bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 29737 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 56.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 19, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 2, 2010: New photos from Wes Kinsler
- December 19, 2009: Essay added by Gary Hines