Cimarron River Bridge
View from adjacent hillside
Photo taken by Gene McCluney in March 2009
BH Photo #136389
Written by Gene McCluney
This beautiful Warren deck truss bridge was built in 1928 by The Pioneer Construction Company of Kansas City, Missouri, a operation owned by The Canton Bridge Company. It has been closed since 1978 when it was bypassed by a new bridge on a new alignment of OK 33. The bridge approaches are closed and gated a considerable distance back from the bridge and the approaches are now on private property. The paving of the old highway is still intact up to the bridge. At only 18 feet wide curb to curb by todays standards this is a wide single-lane bridge although considered 2-lanes in 1928. It would be difficult, if not impossible to pass with large modern trucks on this bridge. Other than the many damaged areas of guardrail, the bridge appears to be in good shape with a good concrete deck.
- Warren deck truss bridge over Cimmaron River on Old OK 33
- Payne County, Oklahoma
- Closed to all traffic
- Built in 1928, replaced in 1978 by new bridge on new alignment.
- - Canton Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pioneer Construction Co. of Malvern, Arkansas
- Eight 100ft Warren Deck Truss spans, Two 30ft approach spans.
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 860.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.99212, -96.91107 (decimal degrees)
35°59'32" N, 96°54'40" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/688302/3985092 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Tryon North
- Inventory number
- BH 42188 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 15, 2014: New Street View added by Luke
- February 2, 2011: Updated by Gene McCluney: Corrected spelling of waterway
- February 10, 2010: New photos from John Cross
- December 18, 2009: Updated by Gary Hines: revised map location
- April 2, 2009: Updated by Gene McCluney: added data
- April 1, 2009: Essay added by Gene McCluney
- Gene McCluney - gmacfilm [at] live [dot] com
- Gary Hines - ghines [at] odot [dot] org
- John Cross - jcross [at] cross-photography [dot] com