Poteau River Bridge
KCS Railroad Bridge in Background. Standing round piers on right, fallen piers on south (left) side of photo.
Photo taken by Gene McCluney in March 2009
BH Photo #135409
Written by Gene McCluney
This bridge remnant is very interesting. The location is where the KCS railroad crosses the Poteau river south of Poteau, north of Howe. The north approach "could" be a continuation of a road that is now called Airport Road. The South approach is a branch off of 125 E1395. My theory is that it could be an ancient alignment of Hwy 59.
- Lost Through Truss Bridge over Poteau River. Would be continuation of Airport Rd. south of Poteau, may have been ancient alignment of Hwy 59.
- Le Flore County, Oklahoma
- Through Truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.99475, -94.62816 (decimal degrees)
34°59'41" N, 94°37'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/351411/3873671 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 41305 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 26, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated GPS location--The south approach is visible on Google Earth, but no sign of north approach
- March 15, 2009: Essay added by Gene McCluney