TLE&W - Maumee River Bridge
Cloverleaf Bridge looking North
The Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway Photo
BH Photo #221393
Once carried trains traveling from Toledo to St. Louis via Delphos, Kokomo, Frankfort, and Charleston.
- Through truss bridge over Maumee River, Wabash and Erie Canal, and US 24(as of 2009) on Toledo, Lake Erie, and Western Railroad(formerly Toledo St. Louis and Western aka Cloverleaf, Nickel Plate Road, Norfolk and Western Railway) in Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids, Wood County, Ohio, and Lucas County, Ohio
- Closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- I believe this bridge hasn't been used by the tourist line railroad for many years despite having equipment located in Grand Rapids where the tracks now end. Their website http://www.tlew.org/index.htm has listed construction near the bridge as the reason for it not being used, but that reason is suspect to me. They run tourist trains down from Waterville to just East of the bridge site currently.
Update Dec 2011-Railroad is trying to raise funds to finish culvert and pay for tie replacement on bridge as well as inspection to reopen the line to regular trains. Currently only motorcars are allowed across. Check out their website at http://www.tlew.org/bridge.html to donate to this cause.
- Built 1916, Rail line abandoned late 70's-early 80's.
- - Toledo Bridge & Crane Co. of Toledo, Ohio
- - New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (NKP)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (NW)
- Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway (TLE&W)
- Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad (TStL&W)
- Warren through truss
Total length: 900.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- TStL&W - Maumee River Bridge
NKP - Maumee River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.41430, -83.86319 (decimal degrees)
41°24'51" N, 83°51'47" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/260702/4588706 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Grand Rapids
- Inventory number
- BH 43089 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 19, 2021: New photos from Paul Plassman
- February 19, 2021: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builder.
- September 16, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Norfolk & Western Railway", "Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway"
- December 4, 2011: Updated by James Norwood: added restoration funding info and build date year.
- November 7, 2011: New Street View added by Daniel Hopkins
- November 5, 2011: New photos from Brian McKee
- April 1, 2010: Updated by Joshua Collins: added google street view
- July 30, 2009: Added by James Norwood