Ponn Humpback Covered Bridge 35-82-06x
Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger
BH Photo #126223
The Vinton County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that the historic Humpback Bridge burned sometime in the early hours of Thursday morning.
Sheriff Shawn Justice said the investigation has been turned over to the State Fire Marshal.
Fire Marshal spokesman Michael Duchesne said the investigation is in its early stages and is urging the public to report any information to authorities.
Built in 1874, the Humpback Bridge was the longest covered bridge in the county. The bridge is a total loss.
Sam Davidson, Vinton County Marketing Director was saddened by the loss of the historic structure.
“I think it’s a shame. The county’s covered bridges have been a tourist attraction for many years and are an important part of the county’s history,” Davidson said.
Anyone with any information is asked to call the Vinton County Sheriff's Office, 740-596-5242 or the State Fire Marshal, 1-800-589-2728.
See also http://thecommonerjournal.com/2013/06/06/vinton-county-landm...
- Covered bridge over Raccoon Creek on Wilkesville Road (TR 4)
- Vinton County, Ohio
- Bridge deliberately burned June 6, 2013, declared total loss
- Built 1874 by Martin McGrath & Lyman Wells; rehabilitated 1932
- Covered Multiple Kingpost through truss
Length of largest span: 98.1 ft.
Total length: 174.9 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 9.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1973
- Also called
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.04789, -82.37614 (decimal degrees)
39°02'52" N, 82°22'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/380915/4322991 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 1991)
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 8235988 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
WGCB 35-82-06x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 73001545 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 28544 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of January 2009)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 16.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 9, 2014: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- March 21, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- June 19, 2013: New photo from Doug Chapman
- June 6, 2013: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: BRIDGE DESTROYED BY ARSON 6-6-2013
- December 12, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
- October 24, 2008: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- October 16, 2008: New photo from Bill Eichelberger