Cox Covered Bridge 35-82-10
Photo taken 2005 by Gregory S. Hamilton
BH Photo #108452
Written by Sherman Cahal
The covered Queenpost through truss was constructed in 1884 by the Diltz & Steele Company.
In August 1992, the county Engineer's office moved the covered bridge 20 feet north onto new concrete foundations. The ends of the bridge were jacked up and metal runners were placed under them. Strips of plywood were laid down on both banks of the creek, nailed together and coated with grease. Steel cables were fastened to the runners under the ends of the bridge and attached to front loaders which pulled the bridge to the new site.
The Cox Covered Bridge was restored in 2004. It was funded through a grant from the Ohio's Hill Country Heritage Area and the Ohio Governor's Office of Appalachia.
- Covered bridge over Brushy Fork on CR 20
- Vinton County, Ohio
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1884 by Diltz & Steele; bypassed and closed to traffic in 1992
- Queenpost through truss
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 42.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.36600, -82.46067 (decimal degrees)
39°21'58" N, 82°27'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/374169/4358410 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 8230676 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
WGCB 35-82-10 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 28539 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/2008)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 0.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1991)
- April 19, 2017: Essay added by Sherman Cahal
- December 13, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- September 9, 2014: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- March 19, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added street view & imported photo
- December 12, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
- January 30, 2006: Posted photos from Gregory S. Hamilton