Scioto River Bridge
View Looking Across Recently Cultivated Field, With Bridge In Distant Background
Photo taken for the Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #233680
This bridge was for many years the only highway bridge across the Scioto River in Scioto County. It thus provided a vital road link in addition to crating a bridge for the Portsmouth Street Railway and telephone lines for the Portsmouth Telephone Company. It has been selected as an historic bridge by the Ohio Department of Transportation. It is scheduled to be replaced by 1991, and federal highway funds have been requested for its replacements.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Lost Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Scioto River on SR Hwy. 73
- Scioto County, Ohio
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built in 1915, replaced in 1998
- - Mt. Vernon Bridge Co. of Mt. Vernon, Ohio
- - Portsmouth Street Railway & Light Co.
- Pennsylvania through truss
Length of largest span: 327.1 ft.
Total length: 1,505.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.73333, -83.01333 (decimal degrees)
38°43'60" N, 83°00'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/325001/4289109 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 7303009 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 52699 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/1992)
- Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 2.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1990)
- June 22, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Fixed error in history information
- June 22, 2012: Added by Jason Smith
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- HAER OH-53 - Scioto Pennsylvania Through Truss Bridge, Spanning Scioto River at State Route 73, Portsmouth, Scioto County, OH
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com