T 153-Six Mile Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory in January 2008
BH Photo #511699
From Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory: The ashlar stone arch culvert was placed ca. 1835 as part of the development of the 1832-1842 Wabash & Erie Canal (W&E) that linked Evansville, IN with Toledo. The W&E joined the Miami & Erie Canal at Junction near this structure. The right of way of the canal is now a township road. The Ohio section of the Wabash & Erie Canal was 41 miles long, and with the Indiana section, the 468 mile length made it the longest canal in the Americas. The aqueduct is one of nine ca. 1835 and 1842 aqueducts in Henry and Paulding counties. They all now carry highways built on the alignment of the old canal. While the W&E did much to stimulate the historic development of Toledo as a great lake port, the ambitious canals, which were expensive for Ohio and particularly Indiana to construct, were completed about the time the railroads came into prominence. By the Civil War, the railroads had eclipsed the canals for shipping goods and materials thus driving the canals into decline. The W&E was abandoned was abandoned in 1909. Period accounts report that many sections, which were in bad repair at the time of abandonment, had disappeared by 1913. The canal was largely drained in 1929, and in selected locations, highways and roads were constructed on the filled canal like SR 424 along the north shore of the Maumee River in Henry County or TR 153 in Paulding County. Ohio's eastern and western canals represent a significant historic context documenting our young nation's approach to developing internal improvements and linking regions and markets. The aqueducts of the Wabash & Erie Canal are historically and technologically significant for their association with the canal. They chronicle an important aspect of American history, settlement and development, and roots of our economy. All are eligible; eight in Henry County and one in Paulding County) for their association with the canal.
- Culvert bridge over Six Mile Creek on Township Road 153
- Paulding County, Ohio
- Open to traffic
- Built 1835
Span length: 27.9 ft.
Total length: 27.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.20763, -84.45787 (decimal degrees)
41°12'27" N, 84°27'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/713134/4564922 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 6333230 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 80010 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Sufficiency rating: 99.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 8, 2021: New photos from Nathan Holth
- September 22, 2021: Updated by Paul Plassman: Adjusted GPS coordinates and added category "Miami and Erie Canal"
- January 10, 2018: Added by Dana and Kay Klein