6th Steet Bridge (Old)
6th Street Bridge
A Strauss type bascule bridge once in operation today the bridge is in the fixed position.
Photo taken by Douglas Butler in April 2013
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #283305
Zanesville at one time has 6 drawbridges (See Movable Bridge Engineering Terry L. Koglin) on the listings of movable bridges of north america in the past before they were replaced with new bridges or some converted to fixed span bridges, however 2 rail drawbridges are in existence the Strauss type and a fixed position swing span bridge hidden next by 4 trussed bridges.
- Lost Deck girder bridge over Muskingum River on 6th Street
- Zanesville, Muskingum County, Ohio
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1914-5; rehabilitated 1977; Replaced 2000
- - Childers Construction Co. of Columbus, Ohio (Superstructure)
- J.A. Swingle of Zanesville, Ohio (Substructure)
- Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois (Bascule Designer)
- - Southeast Ohio Railway & Light Co. (SEOR&L)
- Southeastern Ohio Railway (SEO)
- Zanesville Electric Railway (ZERy)
- Deck girder bascule over the Muskingum River Canal
Four Warren through trusses over the Muskingum River
Length of largest span: 147.0 ft.
Total length: 75.0 ft.
Deck width: 39.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.93540, -82.00605 (decimal degrees)
39°56'07" N, 82°00'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/414042/4421071 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Zanesville West
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 6000487 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 60906 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 9, 2016: Updated by Luke: Builders
- May 9, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler