Rating:
1 vote

Third Street Covered Bridge

Photos 

1898 photo

BH Photo #446785

Map 

Description 

The Third Street wooden bridge was built in 1838 and was opened to the public in 1839 as a toll bridge. In 1871, David Morrison built a three span iron bridge to the east end. Between 1903 and1904, a concrete steel bridge, built at the cost of $173,600 replaced the structures.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Burr arch-truss bridge over Great Miami River on 3rd Street
Location
Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio
Status
Replaced by a new bridge in 1904
History
Covered bridge buil in 1838 expanded with three CBW bowstring spans in 1871
Builders
- Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio
Design
Burr arch-truss built in 1838 opened in 1839
Three Bowstring through truss spans added in 1871
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.75746, -84.20445   (decimal degrees)
39°45'27" N, 84°12'16" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/739487/4404576 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 84998 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • February 2, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
  • January 31, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: added description and dates
  • April 23, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon

Related Bridges 

Sources