1 vote

St. James Road Bridge


Northern Portal

Kings Mill Golf Course is in the background to the left

Photo taken by Joshua Collins in March 2009


BH Photo #136364

Street View 


Originally crossed the Scioto River at Marion Marysville Road in the 1910s before a Works Progress Administration project moved it to the St. James Road location in 1937. - https://www.marionmade.org/2017/12/kings-mill-covered-bridge...


Through truss bridge over Olentangy River on CR 141E (St. James Rd.)
Marion County, Ohio
In storage or disassembled
Future prospects
Disassembled and replaced by new covered bridge; stored at golf course, available for repurposing
Built earlier over Scioto River and moved to this location 1937; rehabilitated 1987, disassembled and replaced late 2015/early 2016
Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 188.0 ft.
Total length: 192.9 ft.
Deck width: 28.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.51245, -83.05335   (decimal degrees)
40°30'45" N, 83°03'12" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/326038/4486662 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Marion East
Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
Inventory numbers
ODOT 5132428 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 27992 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of October 2014)
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 18.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • January 3, 2022: New Street View added by Paul Plassman
  • December 7, 2021: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Preserved"
  • December 7, 2021: Updated by Luke: Added category "Relocated"
  • February 24, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge replaced with new covered bridge, disassembled and available for reuse
  • August 26, 2015: New photos from Janis Ford
  • August 10, 2015: Updated by Andy Peters: adds Marion Star article from Aug. 10, 2015
  • July 18, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
  • April 1, 2009: Updated by Joshua Collins: road name, categories


  • Joshua Collins - Bigjc1979 [at] aol [dot] com
  • Nathan Holth
  • Marion Star - bridge to be closed in Dec. 2015 and later demolished
  • Andy Peters - anpete1971 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Janis Ford
  • Alexander D. Mitchell IV
  • Paul Plassman


Olentangy River CR 141E (St. James Rd.) Bridge
Posted July 18, 2012, by Nathan Holth

Here we go again. A beautiful, unique preservable historic metal truss bridge... slated to be demolished and replaced with a non-historic, fake wooden covered bridge. And it gets worse. Someone is going around claiming that wooden bridges will last longer than other bridge types... over 100 years. Where do they get off saying that? If wood is this amazing material how come wooden decks on metal truss bridges have to be replaced all the time? How come wooden bridges stopped being built and engineers switched to metal and concrete in the late 1800s? How come the majority of existing wooden covered bridges suffer from a significant loss and replacement of original bridge material? Why do iron bridges from the 1820s in England still serve traffic today? If they want a bridge that will last 150 years, they simply need to rehab this historic truss bridge. News article: http://www.marionstar.com/article/20120715/LIFESTYLE/2071503...

Olentangy River CR 141E (St. James Rd.) Bridge
Posted July 10, 2012, by Janis Ford (jford3 [at] columbus [dot] rr [dot] com)

Photos taken 2/10/07