Rating:
1 vote

LE&E - Youngstown Interchange Viaduct

Photos 

Youngstown Interchange Rail Viaduct

View from the east

(c) 2008 by Michael Minn

BH Photo #129130

Map 

Street View 

Facts 

Overview
Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Mahoning River/Norfolk Southern on Abandoned rail line in Youngstown
Location
Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio
Status
Abandoned
Railroads
- Conrail (CR)
- Erie Lackawanna Railroad (EL)
- Erie Railroad (ERIE)
- Lake Erie & Eastern Railroad (LE&E)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Design
This imposing Pensylvania truss bridge seems to have carried a now-abandoned interchange between the Erie RR and the B&O RR. The track running underneath it is a Norfolk Southern line running on the north side of the Mahoning River which, from historic maps, seems to have been an old Erie RR line. There is a CSX line running on the south bank of the Mahoning River which seems to have been an old B&O RR line. The abandoned section of track that included this viaduct seems to have split off from the B&O line just west of Market Street, then crossed the Mahoning River a couple of times (also on abandoned bridges) before meeting the Erie RR near a (now-abandoned) steel mill just north of Division Street.
Also called
LE&E - Mahoning River Bridge #1
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.10630, -80.66600   (decimal degrees)
41°06'23" N, 80°39'58" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/528044/4550611 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Youngstown
Inventory number
BH 38286 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • July 9, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
  • December 3, 2008: Added by Michael Minn

Sources 

Comments 

Youngstown Interchange Rail Viaduct
Posted November 10, 2010, by Rick Rowlands (rick [at] todengine [dot] org)

This bridge carried the Lake Erie & Eastern Railroad, and is actually a combination of through truss, trestle, plate girder and concrete viaduct spans measuring 1700 feet long. The LE&E originated at Graham interlocking in Struthers and ended at Girard and was jointly built as a bypass by the B&O, Erie, PRR and NYC in 1912-1913. The bridge is now owned by the City of Youngstown.