James W. Shipman was the nephew of Squire Whipple, and had worked with his father building Whipple designed bridges in New York. In 1871 the younger Shipman decided to move West and start a company of his own. After looking for a viable site and an investor for his company, Coshocton, Ohio was chosen and a small foundry was built. Production was started in early 1872 with the Rodrick Bridge being the first contract for the fledgling company. Shortly after it's completion tragedy struck, and the boiler in the foundry blew-up sending the company into receivership.
The Rodrick Bridge would be the one and only span the company ever built.
Bowstring through truss bridge originally located over Wills Creek on TR 144 in Coshocton County and relocated to Ohio State University-Newark Campus grounds