Carson Road (Rt.269) Bridge
Carson Road Bridge
Photo uploaded by Art S.
BH Photo #465789
Bridge Let June 3, 1879 in Pike Township, Knox County, Ohio near Silas Dowds' for $10 per lineal foot (Mount Vernon Democrat, June 13, 1879).
I poked around on satellite images of Pike twp to see if I could find its former location and found this undocumented single lane truss bridge. It doesn't look like a CBW pony from the images.
I continued poking and by chance while looking through an Amazon preview I found that a photo exists in "Knox County Bridges" - 2008 stating the bridge IS Pike Township, Bridge #6; Township Road 269 (Carson Road). There are two water crossings on this road in Pike township. The other is a culvert. Could it possibly be???
Nope... Replaced in 1998 by a bridge originally built in 1951 by Ohio Bridge Corporation as Pleasant Township (Knox Co., OH) Bridge #6; County Highway 54 (Big Run Road)
- Pony truss bridge over Little Schenck Creek on Carson Road (269)
- Knox County, Ohio
- No longer exists
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio (also known as)
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio [also known as Columbia Bridge Works]
- Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
- Also called
- Bridge #6
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.48179, -82.41631 (decimal degrees)
40°28'54" N, 82°24'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/379955/4482197 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 87628 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 29, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: corrected status
- February 8, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- December 31, 2019: New photo from Art Suckewer
- December 30, 2019: Updated by Art Suckewer: builder, build date description
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com