PRR - Steubenville Bridge (1863)
Two spans were relocated to Pittsburgh and carried California Avenue over Wood Run until 1926.
The bridge offered a clearance of 90' above Ohio River low water.
- Lost Whipple through truss bridge over Ohio River on Pennsylvania Railroad
- Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1863; Replaced 1889
- - Jacob H. Linville of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Piper & Shiffler Bridge Co.
- - Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Linville-Piper variant Whipple through truss
East to west:
Four deck truss spans, 235.7' each
Whipple through truss span, 325'
Three deck truss spans, 210' each
Length of largest span: 325.0 ft.
Total length: 1,901.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.37579, -80.60869 (decimal degrees)
40°22'33" N, 80°36'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/533218/4469541 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 83117 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 4, 2022: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added lengths
- October 15, 2018: Updated by Art Suckewer: I think the major comprssion elements of this one are cast iron
- October 15, 2018: Added by Luke