Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Tunnel
Tunnel West Portal
The west Portal, filled with silt as it appeared January 1, 2004
Photo taken by Ed Hollowell in January 2004
BH Photo #155334
Marked is the western portal for the tunnel. The eastern portal was apparently collapsed during the construction of U.S. 50 in the 1950s. Was converted into rail tunnel by the Indianapolis and Cincinnati Railroad in 1865 and used by the Whitewater Valley Railroad and successors until 1884 then abandoned. U.S. Highway 50 runs over the tunnel and when the highway was widened in the 1950's part of it was collapsed. western portal is planned to be restored as park. Land for right of way was donated by future President William Henry Harrison who's tomb is nearby.
- Lost Tunnel on Formerly Cincinati & Whitewater Canal
- Cleves, Hamilton County, Ohio
- Partly Collapsed
- Future prospects
- Marked is the western portal for the tunnel. The eastern portal was apparently collapsed during the construction of U.S. 50 in the 1950s.
- 1841 to 1865 used as canal tunnel, Railroad 1865 till 1884. Partilly collapsed, 1950's.
- - Darius Lapham
- S. & H. Howard & Co. (Architects)
- - Indiana & Cincinatti Railway (I&C)
- Whitewater Valley Railroad (WVRR)
- Brick lined tunnel with cut stone portals.
Total length: 1,782.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001
- Also called
- Cleves Tunnel, White Water Valley Railroad tunnel,
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.15549, -84.75023 (decimal degrees)
39°09'20" N, 84°45'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/694394/4336442 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 508 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 01000562 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 44140 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 22, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added Indianapolis and Cincinnati Railroad
- February 17, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Fixed error in eastern and western portals.
- February 15, 2010: Added by Ed Hollowell