Smith Road Bridge
This is the oldest bridge in Crawford County, Ohio. It also provides a prime, existing example of a wrought iron tubular arch design, patented by Zenas King of Cleveland's King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company in 1861 and improved upon in 1867. The patenting and manufacturing of the prototype of this design, among the first in the United States for an iron bridge, launched the career of this bridge designer and builder. The bridge, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Smith Road Bridge, is scheduled to be replaced in 1991. Federal aid has been requested to fund the replacement.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Bowstring pony truss bridge over Pedestrian Trail on Pedestrian Trail
- Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1881 on Smith Road over Sycamore Creek in Crawford County by the King Bridge Co. Relocated 1989 to Historical Society Museum
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- Bowstring pony truss
Total length: 43.0 ft.
Deck width: 10.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 7, 1980
- Also called
- Bunker Hill Bridge (Historic name)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.00571, -82.98816 (decimal degrees)
40°00'21" N, 82°59'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/330299/4430283 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Northeast Columbus
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 80002973 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 49893 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 25, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 6, 2016: New Street View added by Tony Dillon
- March 12, 2014: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- October 24, 2011: Updated by J.P.: added national register data
- Bunker Hill Bridge (Parts reused from) - I used the historic name (Bunker Hill Bridge) for the original sight entry.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER OH-46 - Smith Road Bowstring Arch Bridge, Spanning Sycamore Creek at Smith Road (TR 62), Lykens, Crawford County, OH
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein