Rich Street Bridge
Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in May 2016
BH Photo #358990
The original crossing of the Scioto River in the vicinity of the Rich Street Bridge in downtow was located along Town Street. The closed-spandrel arch bridge was constructed in 1917. Due to structural deterioration, the Town Street Bridge was closed to traffic on July 22, 2008.
The new Rich Street Bridge was designed by Burgess and Niple of Columbus and was constructed by the Kokosing Construction Company of Westerville. Work included the fabrication of precast concrete components in Grove City and the construction of a temporary rock causeway for pier construction. Eight temporary support towers were then used to install and stabilize 52 precast concrete segments and during post-tensioning operations.
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on March 12, 2010. While construction of the arches were completed in August 2011, it was not until July 6, 2012 that the new Rich Street crossing opened. Connecting Town Street to Rich Street, it cost $36 million to complete.
- Open-spandrel arch bridge over Scioto River on Rich Street (US 62) in Columbus
- Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio
- Open to traffic
- - Frederick Gottemoellar of Columbia, Maryland
- Kokosing Construction Co., Inc.
- Open-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 139.8 ft.
Total length: 567.9 ft.
Deck width: 37.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.95748, -83.00511 (decimal degrees)
39°57'27" N, 83°00'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/328732/4424962 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Southwest Columbus
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 2503689 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 42393 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Appraisal: Not deficient
Sufficiency rating: 78.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- September 20, 2017: New photo from Chad Wilkins
- March 27, 2017: Updated by Sherman Cahal: History, corrections
- July 22, 2016: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: Added Builders/photos
- May 30, 2016: New Street View added by Royce and Bobette Haley
- May 22, 2016: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: Moved pin to correct location
- October 11, 2011: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added GPS
- April 20, 2009: Added by Calvin Sneed