Dade Terrell Bridge
Last Removal of the stringers of the Dade Terrell Bridge
Worker taking apart the Dade Terrell covered bridge over Alum Creek.
The county sold the bridge as scrap at an auction for $225 dollars.
Photo taken by Dave Grube
View this photo at delawareohio.pastperfect-online.com
BH Photo #274269
After the Covered bridge...
Written by Sandor Gulyas
After the Dade Terrell covered bridge was removed, the county engineer department moved a Steel bridge that was originally built to replaced a covered bridge along Sunbury Road, over Big Walnut Creek, just south of Galena, in 1930. When Hoover Reservoir was created in the mid 50s, Sunbury Road was rerouted to the east and said bridge was left abandoned from 1955 till 1959. The city of Columbus (who owns Hoover Reservoir) had been making noise about wanting the (now) abandoned bridge gone, or they were going to tear the bridge down themselves. So, Delaware County Engineer Department might have been quicker about condemning the Dade Terrell Covered bridge, in 1959, than they would had, if they didn't have a spare bridge to use.
The steel bridge was kept in use along Howard Road from 1960 till the mid 1970s when with the creation of Alum Creek Reservoir, the same steel bridge was removed again, but this time sent out as scrap
- Lost Bridge over Alum Creek on Howard Road (Twp Rd, 77)
- Delaware County, Ohio
- Torn down and sold for scrap in 1959
- Built 1874, declared unsafe by the county after January 1959 flood, torn down and sold for scrap
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.28953, -82.95819 (decimal degrees)
40°17'22" N, 82°57'29" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/333552/4461733 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
BH 59678 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 25, 2014: New photo from Sandor Gulyas
- March 18, 2014: Essay added by Sandor Gulyas
- February 12, 2014: Added by Sandor Gulyas