ND&W - Maumee River Bridge
MAW - Maumee River Bridge
Photo taken by Jack Schmidt in June 2015
BH Photo #341553
A very impressive bridge noted for its tall pin-connected trusses, massive stone piers, large skew, and age. Built in 1893, it may be the oldest bridge over the Maumee River.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Maumee River on Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railroad
- Defiance, Defiance County, Ohio
- Open to rail traffic
- Built 1893 by the Wabash Railroad
- - Edge Moor Bridge Works of Wilmington, Delaware
- - Maumee & Western Railroad (MAW)
- Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railroad (ND&W)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (NW)
- Wabash Railroad (WAB)
- Pratt through truss (4 spans @ 151' each)
TPG span over street (1 span @ 65')
Steel stringer approaches on both east & west sides of bridge
Length of largest span: 151.0 ft.
Total length: 690.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.3 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 44.0 ft.
- Also called
- Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railroad Bridge #100
Wabash Railroad Bridge #860
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.28890, -84.36483 (decimal degrees)
41°17'20" N, 84°21'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/720661/4574178 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Defiance East
- Inventory number
- BH 54789 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 21, 2021: New photos from Paul Plassman
- November 8, 2021: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builder per plaque.
- October 4, 2021: New photo from Tony Dillon
- August 20, 2021: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added photos and description
- August 12, 2021: New Street View added by Geoff Hubbs
- July 5, 2021: Updated by John Marvig: added information
- November 18, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- December 24, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Updated bridge dimensions, build date and Wabash bridge numbers; added postcard image of bridge
- December 8, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- December 4, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Maumee River"