The Detroit-Superior Bridge is a combination reinforced-concrete and steel structure with a total length of 2,880 feet. The double-deck bridge was designed to carry four lanes of traffic on the upper roadway and six street railway tracks on the lower deck. The center span over the river was a 591-foot three-hinged steel arch of Pratt truss design. At the time of its completion in 1917, the Detroit-Superior Bridge held the record as the third longest steel arch in the country. The bridge also received attention for its unusual subway approaches beneath the streets at each end of the bridge. The lower streetcar deck was abandoned in 1955.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Steel arch bridge over Cuyahoga River on US 6/20 in Cleveland
- Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Open to traffic
- Built 1917; rehabilitated 1965 and 1997
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- - Cleveland Railway
- Cleveland Transit System (CTS)
- Lake Shore Electric Railway (LSE)
- Steel arch
Length of largest span: 590.9 ft.
Total length: 2,656.0 ft. (0.5 mi.)
Deck width: 71.9 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 18, 1974
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.49383, -81.70348 (decimal degrees)
41°29'38" N, 81°42'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/441279/4593817 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cleveland South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 1800930 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
NRHP 74001437 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 27443 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 65.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 16, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: The bridge is rarely referred to with "high level" in the name
- September 22, 2019: New photos from Jann Mayer
- June 24, 2018: New photo from Mike Daffron
- June 3, 2018: New Street View added by Leslie R trick
- September 3, 2017: New photo from Hope
- October 10, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Concrete Arch", "Riveted"
- March 12, 2014: Photos imported by Dave King
- February 25, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "King Bridge Co.", "Cleveland Railway", "Cleveland Transit System"
- November 30, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Rail-and-Road", "Rail-to-trail", "Streetcar"
- October 5, 2013: Updated by C Hanchey: Added category "Ohio Department of Transportation Historic Bridge List "
- July 23, 2009: New photos from James Baughn