Gates Mills Interurban Bridge
Old Interurban Bridge, Gates Mills Ohio
c. 1967 Photo
Gates Mills Historical Society
BH Photo #250989
The Gates Mills interurban bridge carried the Cleveland & Eastern Railway, also named the Eastern Ohio Traction Co. across the Chagrin River in the center of the Gates Mills village, a Cleveland suburb in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
This skewed-span, pin-connected Pratt thru truss steel bridge was fabricated by the New Columbus (OH) Bridge Co. in 1899 as part of the electric railway line between downtown Cleveland and Chardon, Geauga County. The line, which provided passenger and freight service to the area from 1900 until March 31, 1925 also ran to the Geauga communities of Burton and Middlefield.
Saved from scrapping during World War II, the bridge and its approaches have long been used as a pedestrian walkway.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Chagrin River on Pedestrian bridge (former interurban railroad)
- Gates Mills, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built in 1899, this Pratt through Truss carried the Cleveland & Eastern Railway over the Chagrin River from 1900 until abandonment of the line on March 31, 1925. Bridge has since been converted for use as a pedestrian walkway
- - New Columbus Bridge Co. of Columbus, Ohio
- - Cleveland & Eastern Traction Co. (C&ET)
- Eastern Ohio Traction Co. (EOT)
- Summary of Significance
The pin connected Pratt thru truss bridge was fabricated by the New Columbus (OH) Bridge Co. in 1899 for the Eastern Ohio Traction Co as part of its 33-mile long line between downtown Cleveland and Chardon (Geauga Co), which provided passenger and freight service from 1900 until March 31, 1925.
Total length: 110.0 ft.
Deck width: 110.0 ft.
- Also called
- Cleveland & Eastern Interurban Bridge
Chagrin River Interurban Bridge
Eastern Ohio Traction Interurban Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.51811, -81.40438 (decimal degrees)
41°31'05" N, 81°24'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/466258/4596353 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Mayfield Heights
- Inventory number
- BH 55858 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 26, 2017: New photo from Dave King
- May 31, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- August 14, 2015: New photos from Janis Ford
- March 21, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Cleveland & Eastern Traction Co.", "Eastern Ohio Traction Co."
- March 21, 2013: Added by Patrick Toth