Abbey Avenue Viaduct
General View Of Underside Of Abbey-Avenue Branch Of The Central Viaduct (1886-1888), Looking East. This Bridge, Like The Rest Of The Viaduct, Consists Of A Series Of Iron And Steel Spans, Supported On Iron Towers Resting On Cut-Stone Foundations. The
Photo taken by Jet Lowe for the Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #223194
The Abbey Avenue Viaduct was built as part of Cleveland's Central Viaduct, linking the downtown commercial district with the city's South Side. It is 1,092 feet long and consists of 23 iron and steel pin-connected Pratt deck trusses supported on metal towers which, in turn, are supported on masonry piers. The viaduct thus represents a type of bridge construction that was common during the late nineteenth century. The Abbey Avenue Viaduct survives virtually intact, however, at a time when most such bridges have long been replaced. The superstructure was fabricated by the King Iron Bridge Co., a Cleveland firm that enjoyed a national reputation as fabricators of metal truss bridges.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Lost Pratt deck truss bridge over Walworth Valley Run and Nickle Plate/Big Four Railroad on Abbey Ave
- Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1888 by the King Bridge Co.
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- Pinned Pratt deck truss
Total length: 1,092.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.48432, -81.69584 (decimal degrees)
41°29'04" N, 81°41'45" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/441908/4592757 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cleveland South
- Inventory number
- BH 50893 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 10, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "HAER documented", "Pin-connected"