Eagle Avenue Bridge
Eagle avenue lift bridge
Abandoned highway lift span locked in position
Play video on YouTube
Built in 1928-1930 by the Strobel Steel Company, and Contracted by The Walsh Construction Company. This bridge is notable for the long viaduct that led up to the bridge. This bridge was rehabilitated in 1991, but unfortunately in 2004, an ODOT worker working on an unrelated project noticed a beam that was severely deteriorated. In 2005, the bridge was closed, raised in the up position for the last time, and approaches demolished. There are no future plans for this bridge. The bridge is nicely lit nightly, and one could only hope the legacy of this early-era lift bridge will be preserved.
- Vertical lift bridge over Cuyahoga River on Eagle Avenue
- Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1930-31 by the Strobel Steel Construction Co.; rehabilitated 1991; closed 2005
- - Strobel Steel Construction Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Vertical Lift Pennsylvania Through Truss.
Length of largest span: 215.9 ft.
Total length: 295.9 ft.
Deck width: 39.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.49327, -81.69226 (decimal degrees)
41°29'36" N, 81°41'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/442216/4593748 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cleveland South
- Average daily traffic (as of 1999)
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 1869604 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 27447 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 32 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 22, 2019: New photos from Jann Mayer
- July 16, 2019: New photo from Douglas Butler
- April 3, 2018: New photos from Douglas Butler
- January 13, 2018: New Street View added by Geoffrey Moreland
- November 17, 2017: New photos from Geoffrey Moreland
- February 9, 2017: New photo from Douglas Butler
- January 5, 2016: New video from Douglas Butler
- January 2, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 21, 2015: New photo from Douglas Butler
- August 17, 2015: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 10, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 5, 2013: Updated by C Hanchey: Added category "Ohio Department of Transportation Historic Bridge List "
- August 17, 2013: New Street View added by Don Morrison
- August 15, 2013: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 14, 2013: Updated by Don Morrison: Set map coordinates, added city "Cleveland"
- Douglas Butler
- Don Morrison
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Geoffrey Moreland
- Jann Mayer - jannmayer [at] gmail [dot] com