Columbus Road Bridge
Columbus Road Bridge
Photo taken by C Hanchey in July 2012
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)
BH Photo #267723
Columbus road bridge
Just repaired and painted
Play video on YouTube
Time Lapse: Moving Columbus Rd Bridge onto Barge
Time lapse of replacement span loading onto barge to be floated into place
Among the oldest of the vertical lift bridges in Cleveland, the Columbus Road Bridge is an 11 panel Camelback Truss. Originally built in 1940, 2013 saw the replacement of the center span with a more modern Camelback Truss. Unfortunately, due to the replacement of the center span, the bridge has lost some historic integrity. However, the towers were refurbished and repainted, not replaced.
- Vertical lift bridge on Columbus Road (CR 356) in Cleveland
- Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Much of this bridge's superstructure is to be demolished and replaced starting late May 2013. These extent of these alterations will render the bridge non-historic even if some original parts remain.
- Built 1940 by the Public Works Administration
- - Public Works Administration
- Vertical Lift 11-Panel Camelback Truss
Length of largest span: 242.1 ft.
Total length: 358.9 ft.
Deck width: 42.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.48836, -81.70048 (decimal degrees)
41°29'18" N, 81°42'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/441525/4593208 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cleveland South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numers
- ODOT 1833758 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 27439 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 94.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 6, 2018: New photo from Geoffrey Moreland
- January 5, 2018: New video from Geoffrey Moreland
- September 4, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- July 29, 2017: New photos from Douglas Butler
- November 15, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- January 5, 2016: New video from Douglas Butler
- December 29, 2015: New photos from Douglas Butler
- December 19, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 5, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 17, 2015: New photo from Luke
- May 4, 2015: Updated by Douglas Butler: New lift span installed and painted green in 2015
- February 10, 2015: HAER photos posted by James Baughn
- November 5, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 5, 2013: Updated by C Hanchey: Added categories "HAER documented", "Ohio Department of Transportation Historic Bridge List "
- August 15, 2013: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- March 30, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: Most of this bridge to be demolished and replaced.
- September 22, 2012: Updated by C Hanchey: updated location
- October 14, 2010: Updated by D. Thomsen: Added Cuyahoga River
- January 3, 2010: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- Bill Eichelberger
- D. Thomsen - dcthomsen [at] comcast [dot] net
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Douglas Butler
- HAER OH-55 - Columbus Road Lift Bridge, Spanning Cuyahoga River at Columbus Road, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
- Flickr - Imagery
- Geoffrey Moreland