McClellan Covered Bridge 35-15-02
Photo taken by Chad Wilkins
BH Photo #269487
This bridge has been restored and it looks fantastic! The restoration is true to its historic past. What a wonderful project to restore this historic structure.
Written by Sherman Cahal
The covered multiple Kingpost through truss was constructed in 1871 along McClellan Road, which once connected Wayne Bridge and Trinity Church roads. The road was abandoned in the 20th century and the bridge was neglected to the point that in 2015, a steel beam was run across the length of sagging roof of the bridge to prevent it from collapsing.
A contract to restore the neglected bridge was awarded to the McCoy Construction Company of Calcutta for $280,494 in February 2016. The project was coordinated by county engineer Bert Dawson and assisted by retired Ashtabula County engineer John Smolen.
The project to restore the bridge was completed in early 2017.
- Covered bridge over West Fork Little Beaver on McClellan Road
- Columbiana County, Ohio
- Open to pedestrians only
- Covered Multiple Kingpost through truss
Length of largest span: 50.9 ft.
Total length: 52.2 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Kinmuer Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.72885, -80.83569 (decimal degrees)
40°43'44" N, 80°50'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/513874/4508670 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 1951)
- Inventory numers
- ODOT 1537229 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
WGCB 35-15-02 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 27388 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2009)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 16.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 28, 2017: Essay added by Sherman Cahal
- February 14, 2017: Updated by David Case: Bridge restored summer 2016.
- November 9, 2014: New photos from Janis Ford
- October 25, 2014: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- September 29, 2014: Updated by Tony Dillon: Fixed bad coordinates
- March 16, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- November 3, 2013: New photo from Chad Wilkins