From Higginsport side of creek
Road appears to be used only by campers. The bridge itself seems to be solid enough for light-duty use, but something would need to be done quickly.
Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger in April 2010
BH Photo #162113
This bridge contains a a-frame lattice portal bracing with a cast iron decorative detail at the base of the a-frame. This is a detail associated with the Smith Bridge Company, and this bridge is thus associated with that company.
- Abandoned Whipple Truss bridge over White Oak Creek on Big Run Rd.
- Higginsport, Brown County, Ohio
- Built ca.1885
- - Smith Bridge Co. of Toledo, Ohio
- Pinned Whipple through truss, likely wrought iron
Length of largest span: 176.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.79353, -83.95359 (decimal degrees)
38°47'37" N, 83°57'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/243476/4298008 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
BH 44835 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 31, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- June 5, 2016: New photos from Mike Mullins
- April 24, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builder, dimensions, corrected date.
- April 24, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated description
- April 11, 2010: Added by Bill Eichelberger