Champlain Canal Bridge
This bridge is significantly different from the original uniform bridge design proposed for Champlain Canal bridges in 1901, but representative of the steel truss bridges built in 1910-1911 to span the enlarged canal.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Lost Through truss bridge over Champlain Canal on Saunders Street
- Whitehall, Washington County, New York
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1910; Replaced 1995
- Through truss
Length of largest span: 174.9 ft.
Total length: 194.9 ft.
Deck width: 16.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.55500, -73.40167 (decimal degrees)
43°33'18" N, 73°24'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/629099/4823690 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 4418020 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 74446 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/1991)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 8.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1982)
- November 24, 2016: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER NY-184 - Saunders Street Bridge, Saunders Street, spanning Champlain Canal, Whitehall, Washington County, NY