Lower Turnpike Bridge
Lower Turnpike Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Quiet
BH Photo #308887
While already notable as an early metal truss bridge still in active road service, this bridge has many properties that make it have an incredible amount of historic value. Built in 1889, this bridge employs Phoenix Columns, fabricated and patented by Phoenix Iron Works, for its upper chord and most of its compression members. The bridges configuration is a Baltimore Truss, which represents an early adoption of this type, especially for highway use.
Most of the design details are, however, common for its builder: Dean & Westbrook. During the later half of the 19th century this company fabricated bridges all over the east coast of the United States, and was the most prolific builder to employ standard use of Phoenix Columns in their construction.
As to be expected with its age, this bridge is pin connected and has a wooden deck. During the bridges rehabilitation in 2013 the historic nature of this bridge was exceptionally retained, with no modifications being made to the nature of the truss or deck support (e.g. no steel stringers being added)
Because of these facts the bridge has a posted weight limit of 3 tons, and according to locals this has been strongly enforced with local police doing weight checks.
- Pin-connected Baltimore through truss bridge over Mettawee River on Lower Turnpike Road
- Granville, Washington County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1889 by Dean & Westbrook; Rehabilitated 2013
- - Dean & Westbrook of New York, New York
- Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
- Baltimore through truss with Phoenix columns
Length of largest span: 167.0 ft.
Total length: 169.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.2 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Mettawee River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.45349, -73.34021 (decimal degrees)
43°27'13" N, 73°20'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/634288/4812513 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NY 3306120 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 27048 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 23.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- October 23, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Wrought Iron"
- June 5, 2016: Updated by Art Suckewer: Added Phoenix Bridge Co.
- July 16, 2015: New photos from Michael Quiet
- November 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added categories "Pin-connected", "One-lane traffic", "Wooden deck", "Phoenix columns"
- January 11, 2014: Updated by CANALLER: Added Info & Photo.
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com