Rating:
1 vote

Falls Island Sluiceway Bridge

Photos 

Falls Island Sluiceway Bridge

Informational signage

Photo taken by Michael Quiet in April 2015

Enlarge

BH Photo #324639

Map 

Description 

Built sometime after 1896 (as that is when Burger Iron Co. was incorporated), this simple bridge consists of 4 railroad rails acting as stringers and a wooden deck. The bridge was constructed across a sluiceway that once provided water power to factories on the island. After sitting derelict and abandoned for several decades the bridge (and the nearby King Bowstring bridge) was rehabilitated for pedestrian use as part of a overall historical revitalization of the falls area.

Facts 

Overview
Beam bridge over Abandonded Sluice on Pedestrian Path
Location
Canton, St. Lawrence County, New York
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built circa 1900; Rehabilitated for pedestrian use 2007
Builder
- BICO Steel (Fabricator)
Design
Iron railroad stringer
Also called
Iron Rail Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.59596, -75.17432   (decimal degrees)
44°35'45" N, 75°10'28" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/486165/4938082 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Canton
Inventory number
BH 67574 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • May 14, 2015: Added by Michael Quiet

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com