Lafayette Spring Street Bridge
An example of early twentieth-century reinforced concrete construction using the "Melan-von Emperger" systems of steel reinforcement. The western two spans were constructed as part of a grade crossing elimination program active throughout New York State during the years between 1910 and 1920. The Lafayette Street viaduct, all five spans, was designed by William Mueser of the Concrete-Steel Engineering Co. Information about Mueser, the company, and another historically significant concrete arch bridge may be found in HAER No. NY-173, Court Street Bridge, Watertown, New York.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Deck arch bridge over Oswegatchie River on Lafayette Spring Street in Ogdensburg
- Ogdensburgh, St. Lawrence County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1916; rehabilitated 1994
- - Concrete-Steel Engineering Co. of New York, New York (Consulting Engineers)
- Kirk, Raleigh, & Co. of Syracuse, New York (Contractor)
- Mark D. Ewell (Resident Engineer)
- William Mueser of Moers, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Supervising Engineer)
- Open-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 136.8 ft.
Total length: 596.8 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.69000, -75.49389 (decimal degrees)
44°41'24" N, 75°29'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/460864/4948632 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Ogdensburg East
- Inventory numbers
- NY 2221890 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 26831 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 67.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- March 23, 2017: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
- August 6, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- November 29, 2014: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- February 8, 2014: Updated by CANALLER: Added Info & Photo.
- HAER NY-174 - Lafayette-Spring Street Bridge, Lafayette & Spring Street, spanning Oswegatchie River, Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence County, NY
- Dana and Kay Klein