Rating:
No votes cast

DH - Hadley Bridge (Old)

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Lost Pratt deck truss bridge over Sacandaga River on Delaware & Hudson RR
Location
Hadley, Saratoga County, New York
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1894 to replace earlier bridge; rehabilitated 1921; replaced 1943
Builder
- Patrick J. Delay
Railroad
- Delaware & Hudson Railway (DH)
Design
Pratt deck truss
Also called
DH - Sacandaga River Bridge (Old)
Approximate latitude, longitude
+43.31378, -73.84578   (decimal degrees)
43°18'50" N, 73°50'45" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/593598/4796307 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lake Luzerne
Inventory number
BH 57968 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • September 12, 2013: Added by Frank Hicks

Related Bridges 

Sources 

Comments 

DH - Hadley Bridge (Old) bears mason marks of Patrick J. Delay of Delaware & Hudson Railway
Posted February 25, 2019, by Brendan Delay (brendanedwarddelay [at] ameritech [dot] net)

THE DAILY SARATOGIAN, THURSDAY, MAY 23, 1907

HAVE SHIFTED GEYSERS

BROOK TO ANOTHER BED

-------------------------------------

Difficult task for Workman at

Formel Property

-------------------------------------

BUILDING TROLLEY CULVERT

-------------------------------------

Work Preparatory to Connecting Tracks on New Saratoga-Schenectady

Line-Many Visitors

The preparatory work for connecting the trolley tracks of the Delaware & Hudson on the Formel property, south of the village is going on rapidly. The building of an addition to the culvert over the Geyser’s Brook was the most difficult part of the undertaking. That part of the work is in charge of Patrick Delay, master mason for the Delaware & Hudson, and the foundation work is about completed. Soon the arch will spring into shape, when the filling into a level with the present tracks will be comparatively easy.

Many visitors have been attracted to the spot since the work started, and most of them wondered how Mr. Delay would get that swift running stream out of his way while building the culvert. A solid foundation for the south side of the culvert was secured by blasting into a ledge of slate rock which rises abruptly on that side of the stream. To secure an equally good foundation on the north side necessitated forcing the brook out of its natural channel and running it into a new one. This was accomplished by a sluiceway, built of stout plank and boards, about eight feed wide, three feet deep and a hundred feet long.

One end of the sluiceway was run a short distance into the eastern end of the old culvert, the water forced into it, this artificial channel, carrying the stream completely out of the workmen’s way, and discharging it about a hundred feet further down stream.

Recent rains have largely increased the volume of water, which rushed down the new wooden bed with an angry roar, as if resenting the liberties which Mr. Delay had taken with it, forming a foaming cataract, as it tumbled into its old channel and hurries on to join the Kayderossaras, about half a mile distant.