Rikers Island Bridge
Bridge from Queens abutment
Ret. Asst. Chief Pagan Collection Page #1 Photo E: Riker's Buono Bridge, Queens abutment lot.
"In January 2003 when I was Warden of SOD, the Port Authority Airborne Services Unit, graciously took me up in a PAPD helicopter, so I could view Riker's Island from the air. While up, I took this and other aerial photos."
retired NYC DOC Assistant Chief Richard Pagan in January 2003
View this photo at correctionhistory.org
BH Photo #351692
Bridge connecting Rikers Island prison complex to Queens, near LaGuardia Airport. It is the only vehicular connection to Rikers Island, replacing a previous ferry. Rikers Island is in The Bronx, so the bridge crosses the county line from Queens. Considering the facility served, crossing this bridge in either direction could be very emotional, resulting in its nickname "Bridge of Pain".
- Steel stringer bridge over East River on Hazen Street
- New York City, Queens County, New York, and Bronx County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1966. Site of prison guards' strike blockade 1990. Reconstructed 2007.
- - Brookfield Construction Co.
- Madigan-Hyland of New York, New York
- Moore-Lopier Corp.
- Steel stringer, rising to 52' clearance over water at center. 3 lanes of roadway plus walkway.
Length of largest span: 203.8 ft.
Total length: 4,236.1 ft. (0.8 mi.)
Deck width: 33.8 ft.
- Also called
- Francis R. Buono Memorial Bridge
Bridge of Pain
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.78165, -73.88851 (decimal degrees)
40°46'54" N, 73°53'19" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/593786/4515112 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Central Park
- 52 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- NY 2240660 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 71851 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 17, 2016: Added by Roger Deschner